Peter Scazzero, a pastor in Queens, New York, tells the story of his journey, and his church’s journey, to becoming emotionally healthy. He reflects on seven vital principles:
- Look beneath the surface. What’s really going on inside? What is the real motive?
- Break the power of the past. Consider if there are unresolved wounds from your past.
- Live in brokenness and vulnerability. God uses weakness, humility and authenticity.
- Receive the gift of limits and boundaries.
- Embrace grieving and loss. Pay attention to pain: God uses suffering in our lives.
- Focus on loving people well. Enter into their world. Be a great listener.
- Slow down and lead with integrity. Don’t focus on changing your church but asking God to change you.